today in my lit class i thought about how if i was an english teacher i would allow a little time every day for students to read aloud any interesting bit of writing they've stumbled across that they'd like to share. of course, i only thought that because i'm always looking for excuses to show people how awesome dylan thomas is:
Come down into my arms, for I shan't sleep, girls asleep on all sides in the attics and spare rooms of the square, red houses with the bay windows looking out on the trees behind the railings. I know your rooms like the backs of my hands, like the backs of your heads in the pictures when you are leaning over onto the next-door shoulders. I shan't sleep again. Tomorrow, today, I am going away by the 7:15 train, with ten pounds and a new suitcase. Lay your curling-pins on my pillow, the alarm at six-thirty will hurry you back to draw the blinds and light the fires before the rest come down. Come down quickly, the Bennets' house is melting. I can hear you breathe, I can hear Mrs. Baxter turn in a dream. Oh, the milkmen are waking!
that was from 'adventures in the skin trade,' which the salem state library will have to pry from my cold dead hands.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment